Local Citation Survey
- 90% of experts believe accurate citations are important to local search ranking
- 59% think citations are less important than they were 12 months ago
- The most important factors in citation sites are: 1. Industry relevance, 2. Local relevance, 3. Domain authority
- Local SEO experts recommend niche and industry directories above other structured citations
- Phone numbers, city, ZIP, and URL need to be exact matches, while suite number is less important
In the world of local SEO, citations have long been established as a necessity. But, what effect do citations have on SEO today?
To find out, we asked a panel of 22 of the biggest local search experts to share their experience, knowledge, and insights into how citations affect local businesses today.
Our expert panel shares their thoughts on topics including:
- Which types of structured and unstructured citations they favor
- How many citations a new business needs
- The level of accuracy needed for each NAP+W attribute
This is the fourth time we’ve run the Expert Local Citation Survey, having previously published editions in 2016, 2015 ,and 2013. Where relevant, we’ve included comparisons to past editions of this survey.
A huge thank you to everyone who shared their excellent insights with us. You can find the full list of participants in the Contributors panel, and read their thoughts and opinions throughout.
Why do I need Singapore business listings?
1. It’s good for Google
Citation building remains an important part of local SEO, and building and maintaining an accurate and truly local set of citations is key.
Google will reference directories and local listings sites to find out more about a business. If you have key business information listed accurately and consistently across the web, then you are more likely to be viewed as an authoritative site by Google.
2. Local relevance is key
Local businesses owners in Singapore should take advantage of genuinely local citation sources.
Whilst sites with high domain authority are valuable, SMBs and multi-location businesses can gain more local authority by getting listed on sites that are prevalent in their local area.
That comes from getting listed on truly local sites, such as event sites, local clubs and authorities, hyper-local directories, and other niche sites.
Want to build citations yourself?
Here’s a list of the top 50 citation sites in Singapore.